Each week I take whatever time I can find and try to film myself hitting a few shots. I’ve been working out consistently (I do a half hour of isometrics and stretching, a half hour on the elliptical, and a half hour of resistance, band and floor training) trying to gain overall strength and I have been able to up the work on my lower body since starting with my new M.A.T. guy. My goal is to build myself up as best I can so that I can withstand the stress involved in staying out over the ball while keeping my hips deeper in both the backswing and the forward swing. You will see in these swings (a 7 […]
As I write I’m sitting in the car in the parking lot at the Creighton Farms Golf Club just outside of Leesburg, Virginia in the midst of a rain delay at the beginning of the first round of the Senior Professional National Championship. It is 51 degrees and pouring, as it was when we warmed up (?) and teed off on the 10th hole at 8:17. By the time we got to the fairway there was pretty much casual water everywhere, and when we got to the green we were barely able to hit a putt without water interfering with the roll of the ball. The hole plays 410 yards slightly uphill, and it is usually about a drive and […]
I used to play in just about every tournament that was on the schedule for club pros in my section (Middle Atlantic), but now, at 56 and coming off 5 years of mediocre play, I am much more selective and tend to play in the ones that would merit a spot on the resume’ if I should happen to win. The Senior Professional National Championship (formally the Senior CPC before some genius changed the name) is one of those events, as in addition to being the biggest tournament a senior club pro can play in that’s not a Tour event there is the added perk of having the top 35 finishers qualify for the Senior PGA Championship. I have […]
I got a bit lucky today that at least 2 (and almost 4) of my tee shots didn’t go out of bounds left, and with a decent short game and putting round I managed to shoot 1 over 72. After the round I went right over to the range and filmed a couple of driver swings just to see what I already knew I would see. I guess the point here is that even though you know what you want to do and try like crazy to do it you may not be physically able to. And where do you go after that? Well, you can modify your technique, you can modify your body (unless you’re an old warrior […]
The PGA of America decided to change the name of our national championship to the PGA PNC (PGA Professional National Championship), but when I won the thing it was called the CPC (Club Professional Championship). I don’t know about you, but I think that CPC is much more memorable than PGA PNC, so I’m going to keep calling it that. Anyway, we play again this year at the Crosswater Club in Bend, Oregon, which happens to be where I won, so there will be some great memories as I make my way around the course again. I have not played nearly as well over the last 4 years as I did for a nice long stretch before that (1994-2008), […]
It’s almost comical how I try to prepare for a tournament by practicing more than usual, then get out on the course when it counts to find my back stiff and my body unwilling to move the way I want it to, and start thinking about retiring from competitive golf so I don’t have to beat myself up trying to be as good as I used to be. Of course, after a day or two of rest you’ll find me hitting balls or at least thinking about how I can go about getting better and how I might be able to overcome the obstacles I face. One thing is for certain: if you choose to tee it up you […]
This isn’t so much a swing analysis as it is a compilation of my swings throughout a 20 year period. I got my first video camera (appropriated from my first wife’s father) back in 1981 and started taping my swing, not really knowing much about what I was looking at, except that I was a big fan of Tom Watson and read Hogan’s Five Lessons religiously. In the first batch of swings you can see the Watson influence, and after 2 major back operations you can see how I opted for a more rotary Hogan type move. The changes I made in the mid to late 80’s are substantial and were mostly done before I ever started teaching, which […]
Over the years there are probably only a couple of people that I have taken advice from regarding my swing, my old friend Richard Kress and my best bud Mark Diamond. Richard is not a teaching pro but is a good player and a seeker of the highest order (he’s taken lessons from every teaching pro you could name) and has worked with me on his swing while playing with me and watching me play since the mid 80’s. I met Mark while playing the Goosie Space Coast mini-tour in the early 80’s and we have been friends ever since, playing and working together on our swings. Mark was out of the game for a time but has been […]
I actually had some time to practice today so I took a few pictures and did this video. It took me an hour to hit 100 balls, alternating between the new drill I posted this week (Takeaway-stop/ then finish and hit) and hitting full shots with no stop. My main goal was to stop lifting in the middle portion of my backswing, and stopping at shaft parallel to the ground allows me to concentrate on starting from there by driving my right hip back, flexing more into my right leg, and “catching” the backswing with a 45 degree drive off the right instep toward the left heel. If I do that I cannot raise up: indeed, I should be […]
If there is one thing you get out of this website I hope it is that I have inspired you to compete. It doesn’t matter what the competition is, only that you care about the results. True competition is the only meaningful testing ground for what you work on at the range and on the course.
Not logged in
- Tommy Gainey’s Golf Swing Analysis
- Tiger Woods Now vs. 2000 Golf Swing Analyzed
- Steve Stricker Golf Swing Analysis
- Right Arm Action: The Key to a Superior Strike
- Swing Analysis: Brandel Chamblee Keeps Hammering on Tiger
- Bubba Watson’s Golf Swing Analysis
- Lee Trevino: Golf Swing Analysis
- Holly Sonders and Natalie Gulbis: Swing Analysis and Member’s Poll
- Robert Garrigus: Golf’s Home Run Hitter
- Tiger at the Australian Open: Looking Way Better
- Online Students: David Trungale
- Swing Analysis: Ben Hogan Face On With the Driver 1947
- Playing for Money: Nick Antonelli
- Lesson of the Week: Bruce Gross Part 2
- Bubba and Brian Harman: A Tale of Two Lefties
- You Mean You’re not Supposed to Hold it Like a Bird?
- Lesson of the Week: Bruce Gross
- Swing Analysis: Kevin Stadler
- Thinking About NOT Thinking? THINK AGAIN.
- Playing for Money: Ben Silverman Part 5
- Clint: Steve, I'm sure Wayne will have a great answer as...
- Clint: David's another golfer that has the physique to r...
- Tony Light: Heard Peter Thomson speak at the Australia Club in...
- Ben H: Hi Wayne, Surely an analysis on Patrick Reed is...
- steve strobeck: Great footage I've not seen before. I imagine foo...
- google ads plus advertising: Thanks a bunch for sharing this with all of us you...
- Christian Mauer: Wayne, you mention his superb grip. I tried your ...
- Larry Rogan: Thx Wayne D. I have been a Hogan devotee forever a...
- Clint: Not sure how much Nicklaus talked about modeling h...
- Jesse Cavanaugh: This has always been my favorite Hogan swing. I'...