Long bunker shots have been called the hardest shot in golf. Certainly it is not easy to get these shots close, but you do not have to fear disaster every time you face one if you follow the technique in this video. An important factor is to remember that it is OK to change clubs to hit bunker shots further.
Here I hit another bunker shot out of a funky lie, this time on a steep down-slope. There probably isn’t a harder shot to play, so pay attention and it may save you a few shots.
Here I show how I hit a bunker shot out of a steep uphill lie. I owe Greg Norman for this technique, as I stole it from him based on his explanation of how he hit a great shot at the Bay Hill Classic back in the late 80’s. It worked for him, and it’s worked for me many times. I think you’ll find it surprisingly uncomplicated and effective.
After watching the first segment of the Bunker series you should have a good idea about how to set up and hit a standard bunker shot. In this short video I demonstrate how to hit the shot shorter (and usually higher) as well as longer.
Over the years I have taught many short game “schools” with groups of golfers of all ability levels, and inevitably the area where players struggle the most is in the sand. In this video I go over the set up procedure for the bunker shot in great detail, and trust me, you will do far better if you follow my instructions to the letter, and do it every time you hit one, be it in the practice bunker, on the course in everyday situations, or in competition.
Not logged in
- Tommy Gainey’s Golf Swing Analysis
- Tiger Woods Now vs. 2000 Golf Swing Analyzed
- Steve Stricker Golf Swing Analysis
- Swing Analysis: Brandel Chamblee Keeps Hammering on Tiger
- Bubba Watson’s Golf Swing Analysis
- Lee Trevino: Golf Swing Analysis
- Right Arm Action: The Key to a Superior Strike
- Tiger at the Australian Open: Looking Way Better
- Robert Garrigus: Golf’s Home Run Hitter
- Angel Cabrera Old School Golf Swing Analyzed
- Lesson of the Week: Chris Mauer
- As Seen on TV: Aaron Oberholser Finding More Things Wrong With Tiger
- Swing Analysis: Harris English
- Swing Analysis: Rory McIlroy Uses Revamped Swing to Beat Scott in Australia
- The Art and Science of Learning Golf
- Swing Analysis: Henrik Stenson
- As Seen on TV: Brandel Does Tiger Wrong Again
- Swing Analysis: Wayne D. November, 2013
- Swing Analysis: Lexi Thompson
- Playing For Money: Len Mattiace Part 4
- Mark Osborn: To be fair though Rob, can you think of any Englis...
- john bellantuono: Hey Wayne! I noticed that at 12:25 Stenson has qu...
- Mark Osborn: Love it! Real ales have become really popular have...
- Mark Osborn: I don't get Rory or Tigers' new set-up position ...
- Tom Kirkendall: Great post, Wayne. If you haven't already done so...
- Mark Osborn: Heard you playing harmonica on one of you vid's W...
- russ aragon: I tell students all the time that there are only 3...
- Clint: You're right guys. Across the line is certainly ...
- steve strobeck: Would agree with all the above points. I have hear...
- Clint: A few points: #1: By ignoring Stenson's pre-t...